Saturday, October 16, 2010

White House Apologizes for Denial of 'Gay Gene'

White House Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett apologized Thursday morning for referring to a gay teen [Justin Aaberg of Minnesota] who committed suicide as having made a “lifestyle choice.”

-- From "Valerie Jarrett apologizes for remark about gay teen" by Abby Phillip, Politico 10/14/10

“These [parents] are good people. They were aware that their son was gay; they embraced him, they loved him, they supported his lifestyle choice,” Jarrett [said]. “But when he left the home and went to school, he was tortured by his classmates.”

“I meant no disrespect to the LGBT community, and I apologize to any who have taken offense at my poor choice of words,” Jarrett said [later via E-mail]. “Sexual orientation and gender identity are not a choice, and anyone who knows me and my work over the years knows that I am a firm believer and supporter in the rights of LGBT Americans.”

To read the entire article, CLICK HERE.