Thursday, August 21, 2014

'Bless You' After Sneeze Gets Student Suspended

Kendra Turner, a senior at Dyer County (Tennessee) High School was suspended after she said "bless you" to a fellow student who sneezed.  The teacher, known to demean Christian students, told her to constrain that kind of talk to church.
“We will not have Godly speaking in my class.”
-- Teacher at high school in Newbern, TN (also serving Dyersburg, TN)
For background, read Tennessee Democrats & Republicans Pass Religious Liberty for Schools

And click headlines below to read previous articles:


God is NOT Your Idol, Says Tennessee Teacher; Michael Jackson Is

Bar Pastors From Tennessee Schools, Say Wisconsin Atheists

Florida Teacher Bans Bible in Free Time, Parents Sue

Texas Teacher Confiscates Bible from Second-grader

First-grade Christian Censored, Pennsylvania School Sued

Christian Girl Muzzled, Sues Kansas City School

Georgia Christian Teachers Muzzled, Citizens Rebel

Also read myriad other examples of
Christian students being muzzled at public schools.





-- From "High School Student Claims She Was Suspended For Saying ‘Bless You’ After Classmate Sneezed" posted at CBS News Charlotte 8/20/14

When [Kendra] defended her actions, the teacher told Turner to see an administrator. The student said that she had to finish the class period in in-school suspension.

But Becky Winegardner, Turner’s youth pastor, disagrees with the school’s actions of in-class suspension.

“There were several students that were talking about this particular faculty member there that was very demeaning to them in regard to their faith,” Winegardner told WMC. “This was something that had come up previously in the last few weeks just since the beginning of school and I shared with all of those students what their rights were.”

To read the entire article above, CLICK HERE.

From "Tennessee teen in trouble for saying 'bless you' after sneeze" by The Associated Press 8/20/14


Assistant Principal Lynn Garner on Tuesday said he could not discuss the specifics of what happened, but he said there are "two sides to every story."

Garner also said teachers can set their own classroom rules as long as they are reasonable.

Turner held a news conference on Tuesday at the Dyersburg First Assembly of God to talk about the incident.

"I want God to be able to be talked about in school," she said. "I want them to realize that God is in control and they're not."

To read the entire article above, CLICK HERE.

From "DCHS responds to ISS incident involving student" posted at Dyersburg State Gazette 8/20/14


"[The teacher] asked why I said it, and I told her I was being courteous and she asked me who told me that it was courtesy?" added Turner. "I told her my pastor and my parents taught me to say it."

"I want God to be able to be talked about in school. I want them to realize that God is in control and they're not," said Turner. "I also don't want the teacher being bashed because that's kind of harmful and disrespectful."

The phrase ["bless you"] was listed on the chalkboard as one of several students were not supposed to say during class, according to Turner.

To read the entire article above, CLICK HERE.

From "Student punished for saying 'bless you'" by Todd Starnes, FoxNews.com 8/20/14


Kendra wrote about her incredible story on Facebook. It was then picked up by the MomDot.com blog and then, as they say these days, the story went viral.

“The assistant principal said if I didn’t want to respect my teacher’s rules then maybe my pastor should teach me because my freedom (of) speech and religion does not work at their school,” she wrote.

Kendra’s pastor [Steven Winegardner] is among those not buying the school’s explanation and he’s taking a public stand in defense of the young girl.

“Christians have been told to be quiet, to shut up,” he said. “It’s ridiculous. Everybody has a right to their beliefs. I’m glad Kendra stood up.”

To read the entire article above, CLICK HERE.

Also read Atheists, Liberals Lament Recent Supreme Court Religious Liberty Rulings